The Naruto RPG

The Naruto Text Based Role Playing Game
It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:05 am

All times are UTC-04:00




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Traits
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:10 pm 
Offline
Konoha Genin
Konoha Genin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:18 pm
Posts: 112
Mode: War Mode
Character Updates Page: viewtopic.php?f=305&t=15661
If you have thoughts about traits - be it you like them, don't like them, think there are some missing, throw it up here. Have an idea for a trait? Put it here and it might make it into the game. Think a trait is missing or we've missed out on something cool for traits? Talk about it here.

You could talk about it in the discord but it's much nicer to have written thoughts to return to.

_________________
Stats
  • Strength: Average
  • Constitution: Average
  • Stamina: Proficient
  • Reflex: Proficient (Masterful Taijutsu) (Major Advantage Ninjutsu Aiming.)
  • Coordination: Proficient (Masterful Taijutsu)
  • Wisdom: Proficient


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Traits
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:13 pm 
Offline
Kumo Genin
Kumo Genin

Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:53 pm
Posts: 35
TotalExp: 1000
Renown: 0
Mode: War Mode
It might be good to have a Hand Seal trait that reduces the cost of Jutsu by set amounts, like maybe you're efficient enough to do a Jutsu with 5 less chakra unless it costs less than 10 or something. Even if that's not a good idea, it'd be worth it just to give people more of a reason to invest in that skill because, otherwise, it's not too useful without buying a max-investment S-rank Trait or going for one-handed seals.

It also might be interesting to have an Espionage Trait that reduces the cost of keeping up a transformation to zero since infiltration agents are a thing. It would still only be able to last several hours at a time, but that's better than how it works right now, which is that if you have max stamina then your character can only keep a transformation going for about 10 minutes, max. To be fair, that's like 80-some posts, but a ninja faking someone's identity might need to stay disguised longer than that to really hide their identity. And if that becomes a more viable thing to do then it could lead to some interesting plot situations.

It could also be cool if there was more you could do with a Nindo than just using it for an armor boost, like maybe there could be a Trait where if your Nindo is proven true over someone else's then you could gain some form of benefit? Like if someone fights for their friends as their Nindo and you can prove that their friend doesn't care about them, then the person with the Nindo would lose faith and would take 10 MORE damage from attacks? BUT to take the Trait, you would have to have a Nindo as well to make it even. I dunno, the idea could probably use some work, but it'd be fun to have more to that part of a character bio to play with for more tangible effects and it'd give people more of a reason to really set up some more complex scenarios if they want.

Another idea I just had is that it might be fun to have one or two Traits based on the weather, because if there's a fog out then that would obstruct the visions of anyone whose not trained to see through it at long distances, right? And maybe some ninja would also be more adept at hiding their tracks in the snow or something. There's probably not a huge load of things you could do with it, but one or two smaller abilities would at least be a bit interesting just to give one side or another a very slight advantage in the right conditions.

It might also be cool to have a fighting style-like skill for Bukijutsu, too. I don't expect it to be as good as the Taijutsu one for the sake of balance, but it could be nice to have like a trait for swapping between an offensive and defensive stance for some kind of boost to Strength at the cost of Reflex or vice-versa to give people a bit more freedom with how they normally fight with a sword. As-is, Bukijutsu has Traits for light, heavy, and multiple weapons, but not much to distinguish how people might use the same weight-class of weapon differently, if that makes sense.

I'll probably post more ideas if I can think of any, but hopefully these are all decent ones that probably wouldn't be too crazy or anything, I'd imagine.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Traits
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:29 am 
Offline
Kumo Jonin
Kumo Jonin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:32 pm
Posts: 198
I like Rin's ideas. Especially about weather related traits as well as the transformation cost reduction. I think hand seals could use a bit of a buff even if it is just to make it a bit more useful early game.

I think another trait that could be added would be a Bukijutsu version of [Crushing Blows], this perk reminds me of a Sakura type build which is awesome but [Anatomical Knowledge] would logically be able to be used by someone using weapons in a similar manner. The trait could give a damage boost to those using Bukijutsu if they attack internal organs. It could have the same balance, requiring Masterful Bukijutsu instead of Masterful Strength and of course [Anatomical Knowledge] would be a prerequisite as well.

Here is [Crushing Blows] for reference:
[Crushing Blows]
Type: Strength Trait - C
Prerequisites: Masterful Strength, [Anatomical Knowledge]
"Talk about wearing your heart on your sleeve."
Your ability to identify and attack organs from outside the body with your own strength has become your own speciality. When attacking the internal organs or other weak points of someone’s body, you gain 5 Damage against these weak points.

_________________
Stats:
Strength: Average
Constitution Proficient
Stamina: Heroic
Reflex: Masterful
Awareness: Proficient
Combat Skill: Bukijutsu: Proficient
Ranged Skill: Ninjutsu: Average
Finesse Skill: Hand Seals: Average
Traits:
D-rank Traits: [Toughness], [Breath of Fresh Air], [Anatomical Knowledge], [Quick Recovery], [Evasive], [Sidestep], [Eagle Eye], [Magnetoreception], [Elemental Affinity] Lightning, [Chakra Control], [Sensory], [Cat's Grace]

C-rank Traits: [Sharp Breath], [Potent Chakra Flow], [Ijutsu], [Surgeon], [An Extension of Myself], [Light Weapon Fighting]

B-rank: [Keep the Tempo], [Evolved Curse Seal]


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Traits
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:50 pm 
Offline
Konoha Tokubetsu Jonin
Konoha Tokubetsu Jonin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:23 pm
Posts: 135
TotalExp: 0
Renown: 0
Mode: War Mode
Character Updates Page: viewtopic.php?f=305&t=15652#p159356
I think think that Taijutsu could maybe use a buff. Right now it seems like Taijutsu is just a skill to take for a non-melee build who doesn’t want the hassle of dealing with a sword. The Taijutsu traits are somewhat stronger than bukijutsu traits, but weapon traits are strong as well and they are free. Also, Taijutsu traits are prohibitively costly. For example, in order to take both [Hard Body] and [Jab], you need 10 levels(1Str, 3Con, 3Ref, 3Tai), which is more than any other combination of traits as far as stats go. Another example is Mixed Martial Artist, which requires you to purchase it AND multiple Martial Artist traits for only the benefits of Martial Artist. I feel like if you want to be a mixed martial artist, you should just be able to stack martial artist without further investment. I don’t know if anyone else feels this way, so this whole rant might be invalid, but I haven’t seen many Taijutsu Specialists despite it being pretty dang sweet in the anime. This leads me to believe that others have noticed this disparity in power as well.

I was also thinking about maybe all villages, even minor ones, getting their own will trait, like Will of Rain or Will of Snow/Ice.
Quote:
I think another trait that could be added would be a Bukijutsu version of [Crushing Blows], this perk reminds me of a Sakura type build which is awesome but [Anatomical Knowledge] would logically be able to be used by someone using weapons in a similar manner. The trait could give a damage boost to those using Bukijutsu if they attack internal organs. It could have the same balance, requiring Masterful Bukijutsu instead of Masterful Strength and of course [Anatomical Knowledge] would be a prerequisite as well.
I don’t know that this is fair. The first important thing to point out is that Crushing Blows does work with bukijutsu, as currently written. I’m pretty sure strength traits don’t differentiate between Taijutsu and Bukijutsu. I also don’t think it is a fair change to give only Bukijutsu users a straight boost to damage without investing at all into strength. There is a reason that flat boosts to damage usually require a str investment(ie arm day).

_________________
Strength: Masterful
Constitution: Masterful
Stamina: Average
Reflex: Epic (Legendary with Bukijutsu)
Coordination: Masterful (+1 with Bukijutsu)
Wisdom: Average

Bukijutsu JoAT Specialist
Fuuinjutsu Novice
Kuchiyose Adept

Elements: Mokuton


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Traits
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:54 pm
Posts: 477
Quote:
It might be good to have a Hand Seal trait that reduces the cost of Jutsu by set amounts, like maybe you're efficient enough to do a Jutsu with 5 less chakra unless it costs less than 10 or something. Even if that's not a good idea, it'd be worth it just to give people more of a reason to invest in that skill because, otherwise, it's not too useful without buying a max-investment S-rank Trait or going for one-handed seals.
That trait already exists as Advanced Chakra Control. I agree that Hand Seals are relatively weak but it's not a fighting style so I'm not sure how good it would be even if you invested entirely into it. (I personally never thought it should have been a skill to begin with).
Quote:
It also might be interesting to have an Espionage Trait that reduces the cost of keeping up a transformation to zero since infiltration agents are a thing. It would still only be able to last several hours at a time, but that's better than how it works right now, which is that if you have max stamina then your character can only keep a transformation going for about 10 minutes, max. To be fair, that's like 80-some posts, but a ninja faking someone's identity might need to stay disguised longer than that to really hide their identity. And if that becomes a more viable thing to do then it could lead to some interesting plot situations.
That does sound pretty neat, noted.
Quote:
It could also be cool if there was more you could do with a Nindo than just using it for an armor boost, like maybe there could be a Trait where if your Nindo is proven true over someone else's then you could gain some form of benefit? Like if someone fights for their friends as their Nindo and you can prove that their friend doesn't care about them, then the person with the Nindo would lose faith and would take 10 MORE damage from attacks? BUT to take the Trait, you would have to have a Nindo as well to make it even. I dunno, the idea could probably use some work, but it'd be fun to have more to that part of a character bio to play with for more tangible effects and it'd give people more of a reason to really set up some more complex scenarios if they want.
The problem with buffing Nindo traits is that they are very easy to make always happen. If it is a powerful Trait then it's basically always up. It's a fine line.
Quote:
Another idea I just had is that it might be fun to have one or two Traits based on the weather, because if there's a fog out then that would obstruct the visions of anyone whose not trained to see through it at long distances, right? And maybe some ninja would also be more adept at hiding their tracks in the snow or something. There's probably not a huge load of things you could do with it, but one or two smaller abilities would at least be a bit interesting just to give one side or another a very slight advantage in the right conditions.
I think the concept is interesting but I don't know how practical the traits would be or how often people would actually take them due to how niche they are.
Quote:
It might also be cool to have a fighting style-like skill for Bukijutsu, too. I don't expect it to be as good as the Taijutsu one for the sake of balance, but it could be nice to have like a trait for swapping between an offensive and defensive stance for some kind of boost to Strength at the cost of Reflex or vice-versa to give people a bit more freedom with how they normally fight with a sword. As-is, Bukijutsu has Traits for light, heavy, and multiple weapons, but not much to distinguish how people might use the same weight-class of weapon differently, if that makes sense.
That trait already exists as Signature Style.
Quote:
I think another trait that could be added would be a Bukijutsu version of [Crushing Blows], this perk reminds me of a Sakura type build which is awesome but [Anatomical Knowledge] would logically be able to be used by someone using weapons in a similar manner. The trait could give a damage boost to those using Bukijutsu if they attack internal organs. It could have the same balance, requiring Masterful Bukijutsu instead of Masterful Strength and of course [Anatomical Knowledge] would be a prerequisite as well.
Crushing Blows works for any physical attack.
Quote:
I think think that Taijutsu could maybe use a buff. Right now it seems like Taijutsu is just a skill to take for a non-melee build who doesn’t want the hassle of dealing with a sword. The Taijutsu traits are somewhat stronger than bukijutsu traits, but weapon traits are strong as well and they are free. Also, Taijutsu traits are prohibitively costly. For example, in order to take both [Hard Body] and [Jab], you need 10 levels(1Str, 3Con, 3Ref, 3Tai), which is more than any other combination of traits as far as stats go. Another example is Mixed Martial Artist, which requires you to purchase it AND multiple Martial Artist traits for only the benefits of Martial Artist. I feel like if you want to be a mixed martial artist, you should just be able to stack martial artist without further investment. I don’t know if anyone else feels this way, so this whole rant might be invalid, but I haven’t seen many Taijutsu Specialists despite it being pretty dang sweet in the anime. This leads me to believe that others have noticed this disparity in power as well.
Weapons have an inherent disadvantage to them in that they can be destroyed/you can be disarmed. It's a risk/reward system. Those two traits also lend themselves to different styles of builds. One is more Constitution based, one is more Reflex based. Not all Traits within a tree are meant to be equal among all builds (Though I did bring up Hard Body before but it was during the creation process and we misjudged how effective 20 Durability would actually be). As for Mixed Martial Artist, it allows you to benefit from two free styles at once which is a huge advantage and cost reduction opposed to making a technique to gain the same benefits.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Traits
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:01 am 
Offline
Konoha Genin
Konoha Genin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:29 am
Posts: 91
TotalExp: 4800
Renown: 0
Mode: War Mode
Character Updates Page: viewtopic.php?f=305&t=15639
I like the idea of more traits having more than one rank to them. Personally, things like [Powerful Chakra] feels lackluster for what seems like a powerful character Esque ability ( Orochimaru is referenced). But a few ranks to things like that could really separate the genin who have them and the jonin who have them.

_________________
Image
Kumade
Attributes
Strength: Average Minor Advantage (Proficient minor advanrtage: Taijutsu)
Constitution: Proficient (Masterful Taijutsu)
Stamina: Masterful
Reflex: Average (Minor Advantage)
Coordination: Proficiant
Wisom Average

Taijustu
Specialist
Ninjutsu
Expert
Kuchiyose
Adept

Kumade's Color B18904

Kimaru

Attributes
  • Strength: Proficient
  • Constitution: Proficient
  • Stamina: Proficient
  • Reflex: Proficient
  • Coordination: Proficient
  • Wisdom: Masterful
Taijutsu
Expert


Kimaru's Color 008000


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC-04:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
Theme Created by HOLLYSMOKE, Theme updated to phpBB 3.1.6 by KamijouTouma, Theme Version is 3.1.6-ss2
Naruto and Naruto Shippuden © Kishimoto Masashi. TNRPG is a non-profit website and claims no rights to the Naruto brand.
Weather Icons provided by Paolo Valzania and Icons-Land